Friday, November 18, 2005

Can't see the forest for the trees

I have this post about UK traffic percolating in the back of my mind, but I can't write now because I am 2500 words into a 4000 word paper about neoliberalism, sustainable development and forest management in Mexico and Latin America...and I must adhere to the word limit, but I have about 3000 more words to write. As a result, my brain currently is consumed by a steady stream of consciousness: "Stop writing. Stop writing. STOP! Damn it, you weren't going to take that tangent! Remember how you crossed it off the outline? So stop writing about it! I don't care if your argument hinges on it! No, don't just throw out one of your case studies! The supervisor isn't going to like that..."

And on and on it goes.

It's 11:30 over here, and I've been steadily writing since about 4pm. Think I'll take a break, go to bed, then get up to revise the last 1/3 of my outline. With any luck, I'll have a draft completed by tomorrow evening...or I'll be trying to finish my paper during my dressage lesson, which I think would only serve to confuse the horse more than I already do.

No comments: